Engler Open Quick Pitch Competition
- 2:45 all competitors check in
- 3:00 pm welcome judges are introduced – Quick Pitches begin in the same room
- 6:30 pm judges feedback (collectively)
- 7:00 pm 3 Winners announced at dinner
Pitching begins promptly 3 pm
All competitors check in at least 15 minutes before, (2:45 pm)
Awards and food and beverages following!!!
November 15, 2018
3:00 – 7:30 PM Central
Quilt Museum Lower level Multi-Purpose Room
About the Event
What is a Quick Pitch?
A Quick Pitch (sometimes known as an elevator pitch) is a 30-second to 3-minute action-oriented description of a business venture designed to:
- Engage the interest of the audience/investor
- Persuade them to participate in the business venture as you see fit (investor, customer, partner, referral source, etc.)
What information should be included in a Quick Pitch?
An effective Quick Pitch should address the following questions:
- What is your product or service?
Briefly describe what it is you sell. Do not go into excruciating detail.
- Who is your market?
Briefly discuss who you are selling the product or service to. What industry is it? How large of a market do they represent?
- Who is behind the company?
“Bet on the jockey, not the horse” is a familiar saying among Investors. Tell them a little about you and your team’s background and achievements. If you have a strong advisory board, tell them who they are and what they have accomplished.
- Who is your competition?
Don’t have any? Think again. Briefly discuss who they are and what they have accomplished. Successful competition is an advantage; they are proof your business model and/or concept work.
- What is your competitive advantage?
Simply being in an industry with successful competitors is not enough. You need to effectively communicate how your company is different and why you have an advantage over the competition. A better distribution channel? Key partners? Proprietary technology?
- What is your revenue model?
More simply, how do you expect to make money?
All competitors should be present at 2:45pm. The order you pitch will be determined by random draw. We will not divide by upperclass and underclass.
- Pitching will be open format. All participants are encouraged to be in the room where they will present. Spectators are also welcome.
- At conclusion of pitches 3 winners will be announced
- Total prize money of $3,000 will be allocated, $1,000 to each of 3 individuals
- Judges, staff, and all students will enjoy dinner and networking after the competition.
How should a Quick Pitch sound?
- It should not sound memorized or robotic, but it should be well-rehearsed.
- You should be excited about what you are pitching! Your audience should be able to hear the passion in your voice.
Presentations will be judged on the competitors’ ability to both address the key components of a start-up business venture, answer the judges’ questions regarding their venture, and present their idea passionately, creatively, clearly, and concisely. Judges will be provided with criteria on which to evaluate the competitors. The finalists of each flight will be determined through a deliberation process and mutual decision by the judges.
Founder of Blevior Floral and Event Design
Owner Midwest Natives Nursery
Manager & Supervisor at Skinny Bones Pumpkin Patch